Today was my psychiatrist appt. It was supposed to be next week, but at the beginning of August my insomnia started to get very much worse so I called and moved it up to this week. Except the past 2 nights I've been getting 8-9hrs of sleep a night. Curve ball.
In any case we discussed various options should the insomnia get significantly worse again and I decide I want to do something about it. Well apparently over the past 5 years I have rather run the gambit of psychopharmacuticle options so we're down to the herbals. I've tried various OTC remedies in the past, without much luck. Then again I've tried many prescription remedies in the past also without much luck. So I really shouldn't knock these till I try them. So 1st on the list to try is Valerian root and then Kava Kava. And then he also remembered about a very old antihistamine that he's said other patients of his have reported makes them very sleepy, so I have a script for that to try if I want as well- cyproheptadine.
Then before I left I brought up that I think I want to try coming off the geodon again and seeing how it goes. Last time I came off it I got 10 months without the noise bothering me too much. 10 months is 10 months. So he suggested tapering off it, I'm already down to just 60mg, so he said I can either do a fast taper over 2 weeks, or a longer one over a month. Up to me. Last time I came off it, I think I went cold turkey with no issues, so knowing me I'll probably do the fast taper.
Once I get off the geodon and find out how my insomnia is doing, I'll decide about coming off the imipramine. Then in Nov I have a neuro appt and will talk to him then about at least decreasing the depakote er to see how my migraines fare. I've been on that drug 2 years and since January have been doing pretty darn good with my migraines, at most 4 a month. I think I'd like to at least see how I do with just my acute medication for a while.
I did e-mail dr r to get his take on all of this and he said he's ok with it. When I need to be I'm med compliant and he knows how much I don't like taking medications and how many odd side effects I get that I dislike and worry about. So he said being chemo-skeptical is pretty reasonable in my case.
So we'll take it as it comes and see. Who knows, this time around I may do pretty well without meds for a good long while. I could also crash and burn, but then again that's possible at anytime with the way my life goes. It's all a weighted risk. And right now I'm willing to take some risk and try cutting back on the outside chemicals in my life.
Bipolar, pregnancy and mumhood
5 weeks ago

No comments:
Post a Comment