Monday, July 13, 2009

What is it with me, neurologists and 'schizoaffective disorder'? Why is it that ALL neurologists I have ever seen decide, the second they hear about the noise that I must have schizoaffective disorder regardless of the fact that the people who do deal with my mental health, my psychologist and psychiatrist who by the way I see on a much more frequent basis and actually tend to talk to about this stuff say I do not have that disorder?

I don't get it and it's really rather bothering me. As this time I needed my neurologist to fill out a form for the guide dog school and I've heard through the grape vine that guide dogs schools are rather head shy about folks with what they consider 'severe mental illness' and most people put schizoaffective disorder in that category. (even though it's a totally biased opinion and generally ill founded!) If this entirely blows my chance at getting my next working dog I am going to be VERY unhappy! Because I DO NOT have schizoaffective disorder! (and even if I did using that as a blanket reason saying I can't properly care for a dog would really piss me off too!) I've been told that about a hundred times by the people who's opinions on it count the most IMO since they deal with my issues and me on a much more regular basis!

Bah. I'm just going to be really upset if I end up without a new working dog because of this. Really upset.

No comments: